Thursday, June 10, 2010

Coke Studio



By far the best music I have heard this year. I must thank Srini for introducing me to Coke Studio. It's got some of the best music in the 'sufi/fusion' genre of music. Which is not for everyone, but if you are open to experimenting, please give some of these songs a listen. The most awesome thing about it is that the songs are all free for download officially. So that sorts out access issues.

Here are a few songs I recommend:

Paimona by Zeb and Haniya. I absolutely fell in love with this song the moment I heard it. If you're extra enthu then check out the meaning of the song here.

In a year when even Rahman hasn't delivered his best, I am glad I discovered Coke Studio, although I can't imagine it took me 3 seasons of the show before I got to it. But I've more than made up for it by checking out all the songs. Some other recos:

Aik Alif - 3 vocalists on this track and each one gives a stunning performance.
Alif Allah - Very nice track with awesome pacing.
Saari Raat - The song is awesome and one for repeated listening. I love the way the song takes off suddenly in the middle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Husn E Haqiqi is also good. And AR is back with Raavan!

Harshvardhan Pande said...

thx for the song reco, but IMHO Raavan is not upto his high standards.

Anonymous said...

Well Raavan music is nowhere near Lagaan and co. but its much better than Blue and Slumdog.

Anonymous said...

Garaj Baras feat Rahat Fateh Ali is so much awesomer than the original

Harshvardhan Pande said...

totally agree... amazing stuff the coke studio version is!

Amit J said...

it makes me jealous that we indians have to bear with trash like indian idol,while our neighbours are getting to view the awesomeness that is coke studious...